Our History

Teesside Airport has a rich 80-year history. From starting life as a military base to its current resurgence, find out more below.

January 1941

The airfield for the World War Two bomber base, then named RAF Middleton St George, is officially opened.

April 1941

The airport welcomes its first Whitley bombers of the RAF’s 78 Squadron.

1941 – 1945

RAF Middleton St George is allocated as a base for the Royal Canadian Air Force, flying Vickers Wellingtons, Halifaxes and Avro Lancasters.

1957

Construction of a runway extension and airport passenger facilities begins, and are complete in 1963.

April 1964

The airport is brought into public control and opens for passengers. The first flight, a Mercury Airlines service to Manchester, takes off from the renamed Tees-side Airport.

2002

The airport is bought by private company Peel.

2004

The airport is rebranded Durham Tees Valley Airport.

2018

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen reveals a deal has been struck with Peel to bring the airport back into public ownership once again.

January 2019

Tees Valley Combined Authority Cabinet votes unanimously to bring the airport back into public ownership.

March 2022

The airport begins to enjoy its biggest slate of summer holiday flights in almost a decade.